HICDEP Development (#1) - Mapping: one to many in tblDIS (#60) - Message List

Mapping: one to many in tblDIS
 unsolved

Here is a real life problem to consider:

The HICDEP "DIS_ID" field (used to store CDC class C OIs) has the code for TB but the problem is, if we export from our database we are going from something general in our database to something more specific in HICDEP. In our database, we store an AIDS defining illness under Events called "Mycobacterium tuberculosis, any site (pulmonary or extrapulmonary)" and in HICDEP they have "Mycobact. tuberculosis pulm." and "Mycobact. tuberculosis extrapulm." seperately. There is in HICDEP also "Mycobact. pulm., other" (note no species) and "Mycobact. extrapulm., other" (again no species). This doesn't really help because the location is the problem. There is no general purpose "other" code either. The problem then, is how to best export TB to HICDEP format from our database. The only solution I can think of that seems mildly acceptable is to use another optional field provided by HICDEP for clarifying disease location - "DIS_OTH". In the export we can return the same patient twice, in one row "Mycobact. tuberculosis pulm." and another row "Mycobact. tuberculosis extrapulm" with, in both cases, the "DIS_OTH" field set to "disease location not stored".

I don't think the last suggestion of double entries with the use of DIS_OTH is good.

Do we need a "Mycobact. tuberculosis unknown location" or "Mycobacterium tuberculosis, pulmonary or extrapulmonary" code?

The alternative I see is to correct the data so it matches the current HICDEP codes. I checked with the CDC-C list that the definition is actually combined into one: Mycobacterium tuberculosis, pulmonary or extrapulmonary.

What do people think?

/Jesper

  • Message #115

    Hi Jesper

    I see your point of not always knowing the location of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infections.

    How about adding a MCU "location unknown":

    • existing code: MCP "Mycobact. tuberculosis pulm."
    • existing code: MCX "Mycobact. tuberculosis extrapulm."
    • new code: MCU "Mycobact. tuberculosis location unknown"

    How does this look to you?

    With the other mycobacterial infections we just discovered an inconsistency.

    The CDC 1993 Revision of the surveillance case definition for AIDS lists only disseminated or extrapulmonary infections (i.e. does not include pulmonary)

    --> see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00018871.htm

    • "Mycobacterium avium complex or M. kansasii, disseminated or extrapulmonary"
    • "Mycobacterium, other species or unidentified species, disseminated or extrapulmonary"

    Thus, our code MCPO "Mycobact pulm. other" does not qualify for CDC/C and should be deleted.

    Best

    Bruno

    • Message #117

      Hi Bruno and Jesper,

      i feel confident with MCU.

      However,I would prefer to move MCPO "Mycobact pulm. other" to CEP_ID field; There are HIV patients with M.avium (and other mycobacteria) of the lung where the disease is related to smoking/chronic bronchitis etc.

      Best Robert

Attachments

No attachments created.